From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and KISS ?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 07:02:22
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Walter Dnes [mailto:waltdnes@××××××××.org]
3 > Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:33 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and KISS ?
8 > On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 10:42:22AM +0900, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote
9 >
10 > > If a person does not wish to stay up to date, if they
11 > simply wish to
12 > > have a stable system, is getting busy really a reason to change
13 > > operating systems?
14 >
15 > If you're connecting to the internet, you *MUST* keep your
16 > system up to date, to maintain security. Yes even linux
17 > systems have some security problems. A lot fewer than
18 > Windows, but it does happen. Problems with the actual kernel
19 > are only a small part of the problem. Flash, Adobe PDF, Java,
20 > etc, have had a few problems which can occur on all platforms
21 > they run on.
22 >
23 > What's so time-consuming about once-a-week...
24 > * emerge --sync
25 > * emerge --ask --deep --update --world
26 >
27 > The update world can be started just before going to bed
28 > <G>. Update kernel once every couple of months or when a
29 > GLSA requires it.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is
33 > Job #1 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft
34 > security? A. I think it would be a good idea.
35 > --
36
37 For the average user (I know, the average user is not using Gentoo),
38 emerge --<any set of options> world is no trivial task.
39 For the average user, Security means padlocks and car alarms.
40 The average user is using their machine for movies and video games, and
41 doesn't have the time to fight with bugs if emerging world doesn't go
42 quite right. :P
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list