From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:56:08
1 On 2013-09-28 3:50 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:11:06 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> To merge two filesystems, you just merge two filesystems. You don't
5 >> rebuild anything. You might have some downtime though
6 >>
7 >> one reboot. You cp everything into /newuser. On shutdown you unmount
8 >> /usr, mv newuser usr, sync, unmount, reboot.
9 >> if you want to do it 'old fashioned', you cp everything to /newuser,
10 >> reboot with systemrescuecd, mount / on /mnt/gentoo, my newuser to usr
11 >> and reboot. Oh, and change fstab.
12
13 > It's not that simple if /usr is on LVM,
14
15 Mine is
16
17 > / is not large enough to hold /usr
18
19 But luckily, mine is - merging will leave about 5GB free (out of a total
20 of 19GB for my / filesystem)...
21
22 > and resizing the partition is really tricky. In that case, the
23 > simplest option is to start using an initramfs. Once that is working,
24 > you can get rid of the separate root partition and move that
25 > filesystem into the VG too.
26
27 Thanks, but I definitely don't want my / on LVM... ;)