From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Way OT] dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:38:34
1 On Tuesday 16 September 2008 05:14:26 Dale wrote:
2 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > > Dale wrote:
4 > >> Iain Buchanan wrote:
5 > >>> Are they monthly charges? Wow, that's about $150 per year. With those
6 > >>> savings you could afford a domain and someone to host it! If you don't
7 > >>> want a full blown web host, many places will just store your email and
8 > >>> manage the dns for you. Then you could have
9 > >>> dale@×××××××××××××××××××.com as your email address!
10 > >>
11 > >> I have thought of having my own site and stuff but being on dial-up just
12 > >> takes ALL the fun out of it. The dial-up out here sucks even on dial-up
13 > >> standards. I get 24Kb which is about 3KBs/sec.
14 > >
15 > > you don't need to have your own site just to have a domain name and an
16 > > email address...
17 >
18 > True, if I was going to do all that tho, may as well go all the way.
19 > ;-) I also like to keep it simple. Simple is good for me most days.
20
21 Or, you could game the system:
22
23 Get yourself employed with the most decent ISP in your area, the one with the
24 biggest infrastructure. Make sure you work in the back end services team. As
25 an experienced Gentoo user, you probably know more than 90% of the techies
26 they currently employ so that shouldn't be too hard. A little tweak of a
27 config here, and little vi of a file there and hey presto! own domain all set
28 up and working
29
30 :-)
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com