From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] minimal installation cd vs system rescue cd
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:18:24
1 My new laptop should arrive this month. It will presumably support
2 UEFI, which I have never used before.
3
4 I have two questions.
5
6 1. The gentoo handbook favors using the minimal installation CD. I
7 downloaded the iso, verified it's integrity, and "burned" it to a USB
8 stick with dd.
9
10 However the wiki page "UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8" says to use a
11 system rescue CD. Is that required or can I use the minimal
12 installation CD?
13
14 2. The handbook, when discussing Booting the installation CD, says
15
16 Important
17 When installing Gentoo with the purpose of using the UEFI interface
18 instead of BIOS, it is recommended to boot with UEFI immediately. If
19 not, then it might be necessary to create a bootable UEFI USB stick
20 (or other medium) once before finalizing the Gentoo Linux
21 installation.
22
23 I don't understand what I am to do? Must I change the USB stick to
24 somehow specify UEFI? Or will the laptop firmware ask me whether to
25 boot UEFI? Or something else?
26
27 thanks,
28 allan