From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev Migration and SCSI
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:52:23
1 On Wednesday 19 October 2005 22:00, Ian Brandt wrote:
2 > Is there some reason the symbolic links wouldn't have worked?
3
4 None that I'm aware of.
5
6 > My fear is if I change my root in fstab to /dev/sda3 my 2.4 kernel
7 > won't come back up, and at $125/hr I'm really trying to avoid getting
8 > the NOC involved.
9
10 Leave both sets of entries, just comment out the full scsi path ones. Make
11 sure a monkey could put it back right.
12
13 > Is there any way to determine/test whether the configuration is going
14 > to work under devfs and/or udev without actually rebooting?  After
15 > editing /etc/fstab to /dev/sdaX I tried:
16
17 Kinda, yes.
18 Add /dev/sdXY entries, but under someother directory, /mnt/gentoo for example.
19 i.e.
20
21 /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo auto noatime 0 1
22 /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot auto ro,noatime 0 0
23 etc, etc
24
25 The mount -a, and see what happens.
26
27 > But is that a true test of whether it is going to work on reboot?
28
29 It's as good as your going to get, without rebooting :)
30
31 > I'll look into that, but same question applies, is it possible to
32 > verify my changes before I reboot?
33
34 Just the mnt/gentoo thing.
37 Mike Williams