From: Andrew Frink <andrew.frink@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ifplugd and netplug annoyance
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:14:43
1 On 8/16/06, Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hey,
4 >
5 > I installed ifplug a *long* time ago on this laptop, and it worked
6 > perfectly.
7 > After upgrading to the new baselayout I saw it had built in support for
8 > ifplug
9 > and netplug.
10 > Great I thought, I'll let it handle it. So I reinstalled ifplug to put all
11 > the
12 > config back to default, and update it.
13 > Now it doesn't work very well.
14 > Well, it works, dhcpcd is stopped when the cable is unplugged, and started
15 > again when it's plugged back in. But the interface is never actually
16 > brought
17 > down, and that's my problem, I *want* the interface brought *down*.
18 >
19 > Why? IPv6. If the interface isn't brought up, stateless autoconfiguration
20 > doesn't work.
21 >
22 > For all my fiddling with ifplugd and netplug, I can't get either to work
23 > how
24 > ifplugd used to.
25 > I've tried using ifplugd as both a deamon with modules=( "!plug" ), and
26 > letting baselayout handle it fully.
27 > I've messed about with the API ifplugd uses.
28 > Nothing.
29 >
30 > Does anyone know how I can get it to work properly?
31 > Ta
32 >
33 > Oh, and it would be nice if it could pause the interface, rather than stop
34 > it,
35 > but that's easily hacked in.
36 >
37 > --
38 > Mike Williams
39 > --
40 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
41 >
42 > Mike,
43 Sorry i have neevr used ifplug, but i did have very good luck with
44 NetworkManager from Gentopia, https://gentopia.gentooexperimental.org/ iknow
45 it brings the interfaces down like you wanted.
46
47 Cynyr