From: "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome-shell, networkmanager, wifi re-connect
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:13:18
1 On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 15:16 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
4 > But it connects faster when I boot the machine than when I resume it!
5 > At least it seems like, maybe I get that wrong ...
8 At it's core NM is just a daemon. The gnome/kde stuff are just
9 front-ends that talk to the daemon via dbus when need-be. So likely it
10 "appears" faster when you boot because the NetworkManager service is
11 already started and connecting to your AP before you even see X come up.
12 When you resume, all that other machinery is already up, so you are
13 waiting on the card and the AP to associate.
14
15 > > Personally, if it's only 30 seconds I wouldn't worry about it. It
16 > > takes me at least that long to remember why I needed to turn on the
17 > > computer anyway :P
18 >
19 > It's just a bit as nnoying. I remember this or that, or want to quickly
20 > research something ... take the thinkpad and then -wait- ... but as I
21 > mentioned, I just want to check how others experience this.
22 >
23 I personally haven't experienced the problem, but even if I did, I
24 wouldn't think that gnome/nm/suspend would be the fault.
25
26 Question: have you tried associateting with the AP manually? How long
27 does that take? Have you tried associating with other APs?
28
29 > > For s&g, I made a screencast of me suspending and resuming my
30 > > ThinkPad. The entire video is only 34 seconds (oddly, it doesn't
31 > > recored while it's suspended :P) and as you can see I'm connected to
32 > > the AP as soon as the screen unlocks.
33 > >
34 > > http://marduk.sdf.org/suspend.avi
35 >
36 > black only here ... very suspended ;-) ... seems to take some time to
37 > download.
38
39 Should not take too long unless you have a very slow connection... it's
40 a 306K file (took me less than 1 second to wget). It's uses the H.264
41 video codec so I'm guessing you don't have that.
42
43 > > Also, you didn't mention your kernel. Could be an anomaly of your
44 > > kernel/firmware.
45 >
46 > Latest and greatest:
47 >
48 > gentoo-sources-3.1.5 ~amd64 ... iwlagn-kernel-module ...
49 > with firmware net-wireless/iwl6005-ucode-17.168.5.3
50 >
51 > lspci says:
52 >
53 > Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (rev 34)
54
55 Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 here. I guess mine's not
56 "Advanced" but it's fast :D. I'm on the 3.2 rc's but don't recall any
57 issues in the 3.1 days... I'm using a different firmware though.. the
58 iwlwifi.. but maybe it's because my card is different.
59
60 -a