From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] changed motherboard, no AHCI
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:27:45
1 My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
2 I've now successfully installed a new one,
3 but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
4
5 The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
6 which was necessary for the old mobo,
7 but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
8 The Ubuntu + Mandriva partitions start properly, as does System Rescue,
9 so the problem has to be in the Gentoo kernel configuration.
10
11 (1) Can I simply drop AHCI from the kernel or do I need to do something else ?
12 (2) Can I recompile the kernel without going thro' a partial re-install
13 or do I need to do a change-root etc to get it to work ?
14
15 Can anyone advise ?
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca