From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lost /lib/security/pam_console.so
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:30:52
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > George Roberts wrote:
4 >
5 >> Richard Fish wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Peter Gordon wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Try setting the "pam_console" USE flag and re-emerging pam:
10 >>>> # echo "sys-libs/pam pam_console" >> /etc/portage/package.use
11 >>>> # emerge sys-libs/pam
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Although, it's rather odd that you are unable to login. I do not have
14 >>>> pam_console either but I can still login through gdm just fine (with a
15 >>>> similar warning in my system log).
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>
19 >>> If /etc/pam.d/gdm specifies pam_console, then this is why it is
20 >>> required. George, can you post the contents of that file?
21 >>>
22 >>> -Richard
23 >>>
24 >> I just downgraded my baselib and pam after I found a simular issue in
25 >> the forums. But gdm still not working.
26 >> I don't have the time to check the logs (yuck work) this morning,
27 >> will check them tonight.
28 >> Here is my currant /etc/pam.d/gdm
29 >> #%PAM-1.0
30 >> auth optional pam_env.so
31 >> auth include system-auth
32 >> auth required pam_nologin.so
33 >> account include system-auth
34 >> password include system-auth
35 >> session include system-auth
38 > Ok, so we include system-auth. Then we also need to look at
39 > /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
40 >
41 > Also, what you have is the version of the pam config file from
42 > gdm-2.6.0.9-r3 (the ~x86 version). Earlier (non ~x86) versions use a
43 > different gdm configuration for pam:
44 >
45 > #%PAM-1.0
46 > auth required /lib/security/pam_env.so
47 > auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
48 > auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
49 > account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
50 > password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
51 > session required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
52 > session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so
53 >
54 > As you can see, pam_console.so is referenced directly here. Can you
55 > confirm that you still get the error about pam_console.so with -r3, or
56 > only with earlier versions of gdm?
57 >
58 > -Richard
59 >
60 Latest update.
61 After adding/removing use flags, downgrading/upgrading packages (not to
62 mention some firefox/thunderbird upgrades thrown in for flavor) based on
63 information I stumbled across in the forums, gdm is now half working. I
64 can login as root but not as the user. As to which piece of of the
65 process actually fixed the problem I don't truly know.
66 The process of fixing the currant problem brings to mind questions that
67 are better not addressed in this thread, so I will be opening a new
68 thread.
69 Thanks for the help that you each have offered.
70 --
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list