From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Printer
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 10:18:45
1 On 01/03/18 22:08, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 17:56:15 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >
4 >>> If I cared about scanning, I'd be very tempted to spend enough money
5 >>> to get a network-connected printer that just e-mails me a PDF document
6 >>> or writes it to a network file server.
7 >>
8 >> Make sure you check the specs. Either it'll be expensive, or it probably
9 >> won't do it. My Dells have been the only printer/scanners I've had that
10 >> do it - HP's don't, Epsons don't ...
11 >
12 > That's not correct. My HP laser AIO can scan to email, a network folder
13 > or a USB stick.
16 I've seen printers advertised as scanning to email and network folders,
17 and it turns out you need to control it FROM THE COMPUTER. (I saw the
18 adverts, downloaded the manual, and there was no mention of doing from
19 the front panel, but copious explanation of how to use the computer
20 software.)
21
22 My Dell, you need the computer to configure it, but then everything is
23 controlled from the printer front panel.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol