From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:11:56
1 On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:52:57 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > > Perhaps I've missed it, but is there any reason you must have
4 > > nvidia-drivers rather than nouveau?
5 >
6 > I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
7 > something?
8
9 You are, the fact that nouveau is an alternative to the nvidia binary
10 drivers. I have an Nvidia card on this computer and haven't used the
11 binary drivers in years, avoiding the various problems that keep popping
12 up here and elsewhere.
13
14 I'm not a gamer (unless you count kpat) and don't need ultimate 3D
15 acceleration, nouveau suits my needs perfectly, especially the need for
16 things to just work.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 X-Modem- A device on the losing end of an encounter with lightning.