From: Linux <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Midnight Commander and hiding terminal output
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 23:47:45
1 On 12/29/2015 5:15 PM, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 snip
4
5 > Another MC user here. Here are a couple of entries I've inserted at
6 > the top of my ~/.config/mc/mc.ext file. The first entry in mc.ext that
7 > matches the extension takes precedence, so you want your custom entries
8 > at the top. What these entries do is to launch an xterm. The xterm is
9 > what actually launches mplayer. All the spew from mplayer appears in
10 > the xterm, not in MC. If I want to kill the player part way through a
11 > song/video, I can do it from the small xterm. The xterm automatically
12 > disappears as soon as the song/video finishes.
13 >
14 > #
15 > #FLAC and WAV and MP3 files (to free up mc console)
16 > regex/i/\.(wav|flac|mp3)$
17 > Open=/usr/bin/xterm -e /usr/bin/mplayer %d/%p &
18 > #
19 > # Videos
20 > regex/i/\.(avi|mov|mp4|mpeg)$
21 > Open=/usr/bin/xterm -e /usr/bin/mplayer %d/%p &
22 >
23 > This should also work for you with VLC. Substitute "vlc", or
24 > whatever, for "mplayer". This "indirection" method is useful for *ANY*
25 > program that spews diagnostics/whatever to the console that launched it.
26 > E.g. I get dignostics/etc with abiword.
29 Thank you!
30 I will try this out.
31 That's a way of doing things that never would have occurred to me.
32 -Skippy