From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 21:50:32
1 On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:27 AM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:56 AM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 <SNIP>
6 >
7 > > Instead
8 > > of a ZIL in machine 1 the SSD becomes a ZLOG cache most likely holding
9 > > a cached copy of the currently active astrophotography projects.
10 >
11 > I think you're talking about L2ARC. I don't think "ZLOG" is a thing,
12 > and a log device in ZFS is just another name for ZIL (since that's
13 > what it is - a high performance data journal).
16 Thank you. Yes, L2ARC.
17
18 > L2ARC drives don't need to be mirrored and their failure is harmless.
19 > They generally only improve things, but of course they do nothing to
20 > improve write performance - just read performance.
21 >
22 > > As always I'm interested in your comments about what works or
23 > > doesn't work about this sort of setup.
24 >
25 > Ultimately it all comes down to your requirements and how you use
26 > stuff. What is the impact to you if you lose this real-time audio
27 > recording? If you will just have to record something over again but
28 > that isn't a big deal, then what you're doing sounds fine to me.
29
30 Actually, no.
31
32 > If
33 > you are recording stuff that is mission-critical and can't be repeated
34 > and you're going to lose a lot of money or reputation if you lose a
35 > recording, then I'd have that recording machine be pretty reliable
36 > which means redundant everything (server grade hardware with fault
37 > tolerance and RAID/etc, or split the recording onto two redundant sets
38 > of cheap consumer hardware).
39
40 Closer to mission critical.
41
42 When recording live music, most especially in situations with
43 lots of musicians, you don't want to miss a good take. In cases where
44 you are just capturing a band playing it's just about getting it on disk,
45 however in cases where you are adding to music that's already on disk,
46 say a vocalist singing live over the top of music the band played earlier
47 then having the hardware screw up a good take is really a downer.
50 > I do something similar - all the storage I care about is on
51 > Linux/ZFS/lizardfs with redundancy and backup. I do process
52 > photos/video on a windows box on an NVMe, but that is almost never the
53 > only copy of my data. I might offload media to the windows box from
54 > my camera, but if I lose that then I still have the camera. I might
55 > do some processing on windows like generating thumbnails/etc on NVMe
56 > before I move it to network storage. In the end though it goes to zfs
57 > on linux and gets backed up and so on. If I need to process some
58 > videos I might copy data back to a windows NVMe for more performance
59 > if I don't want to directly spool stuff off the network, but my risks
60 > are pretty minimal if that goes down at any point. And this is just
61 > personal stuff - I care about it and don't want to lose it, but it
62 > isn't going to damage my career if I lose it. If I were dealing with
63 > data professionally it still wouldn't be a bad arrangement but I might
64 > invest in a few things differently.
67 In the case of recording audio it just gets down to how large a
68 project you are working on. 3 minute pop songs aren't much of an
69 issue. 10-20 stereo tracks at 96KHz isn't all that large. For those
70 the audio might fit in DRAM. However if you're working on some
71 wonderful 30 minute prog rock piece with 100 or more stereo tracks
72 it can get a lot larger but (in my mind anyway) the main desktop
73 machine will have some sort of M.2 and maybe it fits in there
74 and it gets read off hard disk before the session starts and there's
75 probably no problem.
76
77 I haven't given this a huge amount of worry because my current
78 machine does an almost perfect job with 8-9 year old technology.
79
80 In the case of astrophotography I will have multiple copies of the
81 original photos. The process of stacking the individual photos can
82 create gigabytes of intermediate files but as long as the originals
83 are safe then it's just a matter of starting over. In my astrophotography
84 setup I create about 50Mbyte per minute and take pictures for hours
85 so a set of photos coming in at 1-2GB and up to maybe 10GB isn't
86 uncommon. I might create 30-50GB of intermediate files which
87 eventually get deleted but they can reside on the server while I'm
88 working. None of that has to be terribly fast.
89
90 > Just ask yourself what hardware needs to fail for you to lose
91 > something you care about at any moment of time. If you can tolerate
92 > the loss of just about any individual piece of hardware that's a
93 > pretty good first step for just about anything, and is really all you
94 > need for most consumer stuff. Backups are fine as long as they're
95 > recent enough and you don't mind redoing work.
96 >
97 Agreed.
98
99 Thanks,