From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Before locking out myself...
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:10:02
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [11-11-23 19:00]:
2 > On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...
6 > >
7 > > Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
8 > > which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.
9 > >
10 > > I am using the nvidia-drivers...
11 > >
12 > > Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
13 > > new one or do I badly forget anything ?
14 > >
15 > > Thank you very much in advance for your help!
16 > >
17 > > Best regards,
18 > > mcc
19 >
20 > I'm assuming the MSI 560 is a new Nvidia based VGA, correct?
21 >
22 > It's almost certainly OK to just switch cards. However if you want to
23 > be safe then check the Nvidia site for the right nvidia package to
24 > handle 560-based cards and make sure you have it emerged before you
25 > switch.
26 >
27 > HTH,
28 > Mark
31 I checked the docs of the nvidia drivers on the systems which
32 mentioned the nvidia 560 ti but msi isnt mentioned. Since drivers
33 access the GPU and not the cooling system (and my old card was also
34 made by msi and worked ok) I think this part should be ok.
35 But since I cannot remember other side effects, which I dont know,
36 I thought its better to ask other gurus... ;)
37
38 What do you think ?
39
40 Best regards,