From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE menu structure lost by using gnome
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 07:18:05
1 On Monday 30 April 2007, Roy Wright wrote:
2 > Also I don't understand how or where the menu structure is defined on
3 > disk.  Any good references?
4
5 You will probably get a good reply long before you read this (tomorrow
6 is a public holiday in my country and I won't be online) but here goes:
7
8 KDE and Gnome use the freedesktop menu structure, it is documented at
9 http://www.freedesktop.org in the Standards section. IIRC the document
10 is called xdg-something...
11
12 Anyways, the menus are not a simple structure, they consist of
13 system-wide and user-specific XML menu files with .desktop files are
14 the individual elements in the menu.
15
16 The system wide stuff is usually in /etc/xdg or /usr/kde/3.5/etc/xdg/
17 The user-specific stuff is usually in ~/kde or other places...
18
19 alan
22 Optimists say the glass is half full,
23 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
24 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
25
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
28 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list