From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Steam is still BROKEN
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 02:22:22
1 On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > A picture is beginning to emerge, after the reboot..
5 > It did not give a usable error message so I had panicked and probably
6 > cleaned more than I should have... 73% chance the underlying issue was a
7 > graphics driver version bump that SHOULD have been clearly reported, but
8 > wasn't, the remaining chance being something else that had become
9 > incompatible while I was trying to update this junk. =\
10 >
11 > There was a library that I had to downgrade to version 1.8, from 2.x,
12 > that cleared an error, so it tried to load,
15 > Now it gets stuck eternally on "Connecting Steam Account: [...]"
16 >
17 > The logs are split among about 10^3 (rough estimate) different files,
18 > all of which are extremely boring...
21 Can you not run Steam in a VM or container? Distributed binaries on
22 Linux being pinned to old library versions has always been an issue.
23 There was a period of time roughly 1.5yr ago where people were
24 claiming Valve/Steam/developers had learned better (I attribute this
25 instead to Ubuntu starting to maintain more recent libraries) but it
26 seems like everything is broken again.
27
28 It looks like the errors you posted are exactly this issue, and this
29 is the one way to fix it forever. In my case I wouldn't trust Steam on
30 my main system anyway and would have to run it in a VM.
31
32 Cheers,
33 R0b0t1