From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin only allowing a single instance after update
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 23:56:14
1 P Levine wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:56 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Howdy,
6 >
7 > I upgraded my system last night.  I logged out and back in earlier and
8 > have noticed something new.  It seems to only allow one instance of
9 > Dolphin to run at a time.  I usually have three or four running for
10 > doing different things in different locations.  It just makes it
11 > easier
12 > for me to multi-task at times.  What I've noticed with the new version
13 > is that if I have a instance open on say desktop 7 and then want
14 > to open
15 > a new instance on desktop 4, it moves the already running dolphin from
16 > desktop 7 to 4.  It doesn't open a new instance.  I then lose
17 > where I am
18 > when I get ready to go back to work on something in the previous
19 > instance.
20 >
21 > Current version of Dolphin and USE flags:
22 >
23 > kde-apps/dolphin-19.08.0:5::gentoo  USE="handbook -activities -debug
24 > -semantic-desktop -test"
25 >
26 > Previous version that worked normally:
27 >
28 > kde-apps/dolphin-19.04.3
29 >
30 > Has anyone else noticed this?  I've looked in the Configure section to
31 > see if I can change the behavior but can't find anything related.  I
32 > checked to see if I could add a option on the command line as well.  I
33 > even poked around System Settings but can't find anything there
34 > either.
35 > Is this a new thing, a bug or what?
36 >
37 > Thanks for the help.
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-)  :-)
44 > The behaviour was changed such that dolphin opens new instances in
45 > tabs by default.  If you want to change that, edit the desktop file
46 > and add the *--new-window* option to the command.
50 Added that and it still opens in another instance and adds a tab.  After
51 my edit, it looks like this:
52
53 Exec=dolphin %u --new-window
54
55 The file I edited is located here including the file name:
56
57 /usr/share/applications/org.kde.dolphin.desktop
58
59 Did I add it to the wrong place or does it require more than that?
60 There are several .desktop files as listed here:
63 root@fireball / # equery f kde-apps/dolphin | grep desktop
64 /usr/share/applications/org.kde.dolphin.desktop
65 /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.xml
66 /usr/share/kglobalaccel/org.kde.dolphin.desktop
67 /usr/share/kservices5/dolphinpart.desktop
68 /usr/share/kservices5/kcmdolphingeneral.desktop
69 /usr/share/kservices5/kcmdolphinnavigation.desktop
70 /usr/share/kservices5/kcmdolphinservices.desktop
71 /usr/share/kservices5/kcmdolphinviewmodes.desktop
72 /usr/share/kservicetypes5/fileviewversioncontrolplugin.desktop
73 root@fireball / #
77 Thanks.
78
79 Dale