From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:32:26
1 On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-21 2:52 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:56:36 +0100, thegeezer wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> anyone have any good pointers to an initramfs interrogator, maybe that
7 >>> takes as argument kernel command line ?
10 >> I posted a script fragment that compares the contents of the kernel's
11 >> initramfs config file with the live filesystem. Dracut users could use
12 >> the same method by parsing the output from lsinitrd.
15 > My question is, why can't portage do this automatically as part of the
16 > update process for these packages?
17 >
18 > Again: support for separate /usr should absolutely NOT be dropped
19 > unless/until this process can be handled properly by portage itself.
20 >
21 > At an absolute bare minimum, the emerge output should advise the user
22 > if/when they need to update their initramfs, but ideally, it should be done
23 > automatically - automation is something that computers are good at.
26 It really doesn't matter if your initramfs is out-of-date, so long as
27 it is able to mount your filesystems and pass control along to your
28 real system.
29
30 Personally, I only update my initramfs when I update my kernel; it
31 works out fine.