From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cloning + upgrade howto?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:09:37
1 On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:54:19 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2
3 > Is it possible to clone this running Gentoo system, essentially
4 > overwrite
5 > /var/lib/portage/world
6 > with the larger version of the old hardware except some 64bit related
7 > packages and then run
8 > emerge --keep-going -j4 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep @system @world
9 > on the new machine.
10 >
11 > Or are the any snags?
12
13 Only one, portage will barf when you have a world file containing
14 uninstalled packages. Copy the world file from the other machine
15 somewhere other than /var/lib/portage and run
16
17 emerge -n $(cat /path/to/otherworld)
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.