From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice emerge failing
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:23:05
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag 20 November 2008 14:14:25 schrieb ext Dirk Uys:
5 >> Another reason is that OO is reputed for having a very complicated
6 >> build system that takes up a lot of resources to complete. Depending
7 >> on the hardware you are doing this on "using a binary package that
8 >> most likely doesn't fit into your otherwise self-compiled system" may
9 >> not be that idiotic.
12 > If my hardware is not compilation friendly, I'd use a binary distribution and
13 > end up with an OOo that fits into the system (given that the maintainers of
14 > the chosen distribution also compiled the package from sources).
15 >
16 > Bye...
17 >
18 > Dirk
21 I agree, if you are going to use a OS that is source based, you need to
22 be source based. It may take 6 or 7 hours to compile OOo on my rig but
23 everything on my system is compiled as far as I know.
24
25 Also, isn't whether a person uses a binary or not up the the person in
26 the chair? Why is it that every time someone comes here to get help
27 with OOo that a comment is made to install the binary? That is not
28 exactly a fix for the problem. I have read about problems with the
29 binary version too and the compiled version will work fine. Let the
30 person that owns the puter make up their own mind. It's not our place
31 to tell them what packages to install unless they ask.
32
33 Dale
34