From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Editing /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to pass options to dhcpcd
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:57:43
1 On 10/27/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Is there a way that I can edit /etc/init.d/net.eth0 so that when it
3 > calls dhcpcd to get an IP address, it doesn't overwrite my domain name
4 > or my /etc/resolv.conf file? I looked at /etc/init.d/net.eth0, but
5 > could not find anyplace where it actually called dhcpcd...
6
7 The actual call to dhcpcd is in /lib/rcscripts/net/dhcpcd.sh. But you
8 really don't want to edit that script.
9
10 You should read /etc/conf.d/net.example.
11
12 If you *really* want direct control over the dhcpcd options:
13 -------
14 # For passing custom options to dhcpcd use something like the following. This
15 # example reduces the timeout for retrieving an address from 60 seconds (the
16 # default) to 10 seconds.
17 #dhcpcd_eth0="-t 10"
18 ------
19
20 But, probably what you really want is the generic "nodns" option:
21
22 ------
23 # GENERIC DHCP OPTIONS
24 # Set generic DHCP options like so
25 #dhcp_eth0="release nodns nontp nonis nogateway nosendhost"
26
27 # This tells the dhcp client to release it's lease when it stops, not to
28 # overwrite dns, ntp and nis settings, not to set a default route and not to
29 # send the current hostname to the dhcp server and when it starts.
30 # You can use any combination of the above options - the default is not to
31 # use any of them.
32 ------
33
34 -Richard