From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0 and oldconfig
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 14:36:39
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday, July 23 at 05:33 (-0500), Dale said:
6 >> But sometimes major changes can fix things and do things completely
7 >> different which can lead to other issues being fixed. Seamonkey did
8 >> the
9 >> same when they did their major redo.
10 >>
11 >> Bad thing is, the kernel panics are at it again. I had a little bit
12 >> of
13 >> time to download a video or two but here we go again.
14 >>
15 >> Back to the normal reboots I guess. :-(
18 > Yeah but typically.. or maybe my experience is completely different than
19 > most, but typically major releases center on new features and not fixing
20 > bugs, and major releases tend to create a whole lot more new bugs than
21 > fixes (which is why many people hold out for for<major_release>.1) :P
22 >
23 > Anyway, here's something... did you actually report a bug? If a tree
24 > falls in the forest...
28 I haven't filed a bug because at the moment we have not been able to
29 figure out exactly what is causing it. I know it is a kernel panic but
30 not what part. Seamonkey and Firefox works until I start to download
31 something then there is a kernel panic. While is causes a panic with
32 Seamonkey or Firrefox, emerge can download for hours with not one
33 problem. Is it a network card driver or something else? We don't
34 know. I just keep trying different things until I can find something
35 that works then hopefully can figure out what changed.
36
37 I'm thinking about going back to the oldest kernel I can. The oldest I
38 have tried is 2.6.38 but .32 is still in the tree.
39
40 There is a whole thread, or two, on this tho.
41
42 Dale
43