From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Extended file attributes: ext4
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:26:23
1 On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 01:21:05PM -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > Note, however, that you *need* GRUB2 if your kernel lives in an ext4
4 > partition that it's not longer compatible with ext3. Don't do the
5 > change without migrating to GRUB2 before.
6
7 Hm... I wonder what I’m missing in my setup. I still run grub-0.97 (I like it
8 more because it loads faster than Grub 2 ^^). Anyhoo, I have /boot on my root
9 partition, and a longer while ago I made the switch from ext3 to ext4 through
10 backup, reformat and restore. According to dumpe2fs, I have the following
11 features enabled on the partition in question:
12
13 has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent
14 flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
15
16 My fstab entry is minimalist:
17 /dev/sda3 / ext4 auto 0 1
18
19 So how did I manage to get the system booted with grub 0.97 in the first
20 place? I’m not using an “init thingy” BTW. ;-)
21 --
22 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
23 Please do not use my email addresses within any Facebook service.
24
25 GNU jokes are not Unix jokes.