From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:07:31
1 Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 04:41:14PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
5 >
6 > > > btrfs looks very promising. I hope it will become a good fs. Fast for
7 > > > everybody, stable, efficient. We will see. Until then I will stay with
8 > > > r4+compression.
9 > >
10 > > Well, it is under a restrictive license, so there is no chance that this
11 > > filestem will become popular on many OS platforms.
12 >
13 > btrfs is under GPL...
14
15 Correct, and this is the reason why it cannot appear on other platforms.
16
17 The problem with the GPL is that it tries to prevent collaboration between
18 different license camps. The GPL is an asymmetric license that allows "other
19 code" to be used by GPLd code (this is why ZFS being under CDDL is no problem
20 for a linux integration), but it does not allow other code (even code unter an
21 approved OpenSource license) to use GPLd code.
22
23 It ZFS was under GPL, it did not appear on FreeBSD and Mac OS X.
24
25 What I expect from a promising new filesystem is that is may be integrated in a
26 large variety of Platforms.
27
28 Note that I am a supporter of collaboration in OSS and that it is important for
29 me to write software in a highly portable way so anybody may use it....
30
31 I do not like the camp mentality.
32
33 Jörg