From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:12:23
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > So, kicking the overworked portage team with stuff like "Gentoo has a
5 > lousy package manager" is not helpful and certainly violates the CoC.
6 > I don't see that here.
7
8 +1
9
10 > On the other hand, that doesn't mean that we all need to line up and
11 > drink the kool aide and say that the behavior pointed out in the
12 > original message is desired behavior.
13
14 Is the kool_aide spike with 151 rum? just curious....
17 > We can acknowledge that bugs exist without lining up with signs
18 > demanding their immediate fix. The portage team does great work, but
19 > the fact that package runtime dependencies can vary so much compared
20 > to a binary distro greatly complicates the dependency-resolution
21 > problem. So do some of our package-maintenance practices, and those
22 > are being looked at right now.
23
24 DAG nabbit, I thought I understood the problem and then lost focus?
27 > Just doing that alone would probably triage a
28 > large number of issues that confuse users which makes them somewhat
29 > happier and cuts down on list traffic.
30
31 and take our fun away? Now you're moving to my side of the installer issue?
32
33 ;-)
36 James