From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: System reboot
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:28:21
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2018.12.16 10:45, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 16/12/2018 05:54, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Just a bit ago I had my system power off.  On one hand, I think it
5 >>> is a hardware issue with the computer.  On the other hand, I noticed
6 >>> something odd.  The display was on on my UPS when my system went
7 >>> down.  It usually only comes on when I push the button or the power
8 >>> fails.
9 >> To me it sounds you got a power drop, but not a complete power loss,
10 >> which triggered the UPS and told your PC to shut down.
11 >>
12 >> I could be wrong.
13 > If the PC did a controlled shutdown based on signal from the UPS, I
14 > think it would be properly logged, not an immediate off with no trace.
17 That would be my thinking.  Still, one never knows.  I just find it odd
18 that my puter powered off and stayed off and the display was lit up on
19 the UPS.  Maybe one has nothing to do with the other or maybe they do.
20 It's weird tho.  It makes me go hmmmmm.
21
22 I do know that when the power blinks and the UPS has to kick in, it does
23 log it to the messages log file.  It also logs when power returns even
24 if it is only a second or so apart.  It also logs brown outs or over
25 voltage conditions as well.  Basically, if the UPS has to kick in for
26 some reason, it logs it.
27
28 I hope it never does this again because I don't want to risk losing any
29 data, even tho I have a good backup.  That said, I do wish I could
30 figure out what happened if it does it again.  Could the new CPU I just
31 put in have a issue?  Hard drive be doing something weird with the
32 power, short out for a second or so?  Mobo be going out?  Power supply
33 going out?  Lots of options here.  When I do my next upgrade, I'm going
34 to reset and blow out all the power connectors.
35
36 Dale
37