From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 06:14:35
1 On 01/09/2016 08:04, gevisz wrote:
2 > I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
3 > that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
4 > in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
5 > example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
6 > to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
7 > Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
8 > will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
9 > going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
10 > this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
11 > advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
12 > logical ones.
13
14 it will take about 5 seconds to partition it.
15 And a few more to mkfs it.
16
17 Are you sure you aren't thinking of mkfs with ext2 (which did take hours
18 for a drive that size?
21 > For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
22 > colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
23 > the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
24 > disadvantages of doing so. :)
25
26 So you are following 20 year-old advice for hardware relevant to 20
27 years ago and not taking tech advances into account ? :-)
30 > But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
31 > hard drive into smaller logical ones?
32
33 You only get 1 mount point
34 Some ancient software might whinge and complain about not having a
35 partition table present.
36 The drive vendor no longer has a place to put their magic sekrit
37 phone-home data collection stuff. Oh wait, that's a benefit and belongs
38 below
41 > Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
42 > into smaller logical ones and why?
43
44 The only reason to partition a drive is to get 2 or more
45 smaller ones that differ somehow (size, inode ratio, mount options, etc)
46
47 Go with no partition table by all means, but if you one day find you
48 need one, you will have to copy all your data off, repartition, and copy
49 your data back. If you are certain that will not happen (eg you will
50 rather buy a second drive) then by all means dispense with partitions.
51
52 They are after all nothing more than a Microsoft invention from the 80s
53 so people could install UCSD Pascal next to MS-DOS
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com