From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 14:01:56
1 On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 29 Aug 2017, at 14:19, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Stroller
7 >> <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> Any recommendations for a simple NTP client?
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> systemd-timedated?
13 >>
14 >> /me ducks...
15 >
16 > Sounds good, actually.
17 >
18 > Will try to remember it for my next system, but these are both openRC.
21 Well, in all seriousness the reason systemd included it is that one of
22 their goals is to provide a simple client-only version of everything
23 (time, dhcp, etc). So, in that sense it fits the bill perfectly.
24 However, I suspect it wouldn't be practical to use unless you're
25 already running systemd. I wouldn't be surprised if it communicates
26 over dbus/etc and isn't intended to be used standalone.
29 Rich