From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:42:18
1 On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Tom Smith wrote:
2
3 > Jeff wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hey guys.
6 >>
7 >> I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard
8 >> drive
9 >> to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
10 >> what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
11 >>
12 >> # cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
13 >>
14 >> So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then
15 >> archived on
16 >> the destination machine.
17 >>
18 >> Help!
19 >>
20 >> :-)
23 > Not possible. What you want is more along the lines of AFS, NFS,
24 > SMB, or
25 > the like.
28 WRONG. I do it all the time.
29
30 > If your backup files already exist, you can use SCP or SFTP to copy
31 > those to a different server.
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list