From: Corbin <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbook(amd64)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:16:21
1 On 04/14/2016 01:06 PM, James wrote:
2 > So,
3 >
4 > I was going through the handbook to look at the logic therein
5 > before bash scripting up some simple install recipies for my clustering
6 > work, which is eclusively amd64+radeon, atm.
7 >
8 > In the Kernel section of the amd64-handbook::
9 >
10 > "root #nano -w /etc/fstab
11 > FILE /etc/fstabConfiguring the /boot mountpoint
12 > /dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2 "
13 >
14 > <then this note>
15 > Note
16 > Further in the Gentoo installation, /etc/fstab will be configured again. The
17 > /boot setting is needed right now as the genkernel application reads in this
18 > configuration.
19 >
20 > I build kernel by hand, similar to the handbook. I keep all of /usr/ on the
21 > same partition, so I should not need at interramfs, right? But I am follow
22 > the '4' partition example in the handbook, for this manual installation.
25 > So it has been a long time since I looked that the handbook logic, so I may
26 > just have missed the followup section on what the fstab should look like,
27 > mostly following the amd64-handbook. In fact all I did was to add a
28 > partition names 'local' for later mounting as /usr/local. But there is no
29 > section on completing the fstab.
30 >
31 > Now finishing up the manual installation I have this default /etc/fstab::
32 >
33 > /dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
34 > /dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1
35 > /dev/SWAP none swap sw 0 0
36 > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
37 > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
38 >
39 > which seems vintage. So a bug probable needs to be file on the handbook, but
40 > a bit of discussion might be wise, first.
43 > So where is the handbookd portion that describes these default steps that
44 > leads to a simple (per the handbook exmaple) /etc/fstab? Or is this a bug?
47 > <<Second>>
48 >
49 > Also, I exclusively use amd video cards and we use to have a gentoo doc on
50 > it's setup. Now in the gentoo wiki, I find::
51 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ATI_FAQ
52 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
53 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu
56 > I do not currently have any of the newest AMD (fury*) cards so scripting
57 > up that part of radeon card installation seems most straightforward by
58 > a generic make.conf entry for radeon and lesser defaults that work::
59 > VIDEO_CARDS="radeon radeonsi vesa "
60 >
61 > and then the appropriate ebuilds and kernel config options. Any suggestions
62 > related to ebuild, flags, kernel option and installation steps would be
63 > appreciated. I could have easily missed an existing doc, or interpertation
64 > that lends a blanket system for radeon video card installations.
65 >
66 > James
72 Info for you ...
73
74 Gentoo Handbook x86_64 ( A.K.A. amd64 )
75 Date : April 14,2016
76
77 Section Headings :
78
79 Configuring the Linux kernel
80 ( Partial fstab file created for genkernel )
81
82 Configuring the system
83 ( full fstab file creation / template provided )
84
85 The handbook expects you to use the template, any install notes you
86 made, and info from the appropriate man pages to finalize the fstab
87 file. Experience/Knowledge is key.