From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ifconfig - display/list hostname with IP address
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 21:32:23
1 On 03/02/2017 02:11 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 02/03/2017 22:57, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> running "ifconfig" is it possible to display hostname, especially with
4 >> "tun" interfaces.
5 >
6 > No.
7 >
8 > ifconfig operates at layer 2.
9 > Hostnames is a dns/resolver concept operating at a much higher level.
10 >
11 > DNs relies on layer 2 so using rDNS to display hostnames (or worse, that
12 > abomination called /etc/hosts) is logically circular and nonsensical
13 >
14 > Hostnames are there to abstract addresses when addresses don't matter.
15 > Addresses very much do matter at the ifconfig level so if you need them
16 > then, you probably shouldn't be looking at ifconfig at all (don't you
17 > know your own addresses?)
18 >
19 > And finally the relationship between address and names is many<->many,
20 > so which one you gonna use?
21
22 Thanks for the input Alan,
23 Yes, I do remember them when I'm setting it UP; but after a while I have
24 to think if I get the correct IP or tun address.
25
26 I think "yellow" note sticker on the side of the monitor will do the
27 trick :-)
30 Thelma