From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dm-crypt + ext4 = where will the journal go?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:19:21
1 On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 22:45:07 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > >> I just have to make sure to leave nothing private on root, /usr
4 > >> or /etc.
5 > >
6 > > Like your passwd and shadow files?
7
8 > *g*, good point. However, I'm willing to take the risk on just these
9 > two: passwd doesn't contain anything of considerable interest. shadow
10 > contains exactly two passwords, both as sha256-sums (or similar, did not
11 > really check). The passwords themselves are in excess of 90 bit entropy,
12 > depending on how you estimate it.
13 >
14 > Most of the rest which might be of interest and is usually in /etc can
15 > be symlinked there from a safe location in /var.
16
17 I used to do that, but as the number of sensitive directories grew -
18 samba, wicd, etc. - I decided it was less hassle to set up an encrypted /
19 and forget about it.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 When you go to court you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people
26 that were not smart enough to get out of jury duty.