From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 23:29:15
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:03 on Saturday 20 November 2010, Neil
2 Bothwick did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:04:03 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > > XFS allows growing a mounted filesystem, but it has no option to
6 > > > shrink a filesystem, mounted or otherwise.
7 > >
8 > > xfs isn't something I use and I had a niggling thought I might have got
9 > > the details wrong. Thanks for that.
10 >
11 > It's quite a limitation. I don't normally need to shrink a filesystem,
12 > since I use LVM to only make them as large as they need to be, but it's
13 > bitten me a couple of times. Maybe it's time to see how ext4 does with
14 > large files.
15
16 If it were say JFS that had that limitation, one could easily say "use ext3
17 instead" and life would be good. But xfs is very very good at dealing with
18 huge directories with thousands of files. Think video rendering. Or anything
19 with a spool.
20
21 One might easily want to temporarily grow a spool dir for one run then shrink
22 it again later. Maybe use a spare extra drive for that. Whatever.
23
24 Ah, but xfs can't do that. Bugger.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com