From: "Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dmesg yes fdisk no - new HDD
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:03:04
1 On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 17:34 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I'm installing a new HDD on an older (in P4 terms) P4 2.0 GB.
3 >
4 > On bootup I see it noticed in dmesg or but doesn't get an IRQ. (See
5 > snippet from dmesg) And once booted up, fdisk doesn't know about it.
6 >
7 > I pulled out the ribbon to two cd drives and connected This new drive
8 > by itself as master with no slave. (Just to start tinkering).
9 >
10 > Anyone that can spot something or has a nifty idea or question please respond.
11 >
12 > DMESG:
13
14 This is one of the fun ones.
15
16 try cfdisk and partedit, I think cfdisk will be more verbose and might
17 tell you it is refused to seek() the drive...
20 if thats the case, its probably the controller (or driver) being odd on
21 you. Had this recently when a 250Gb disk was recognized as
22 655535Mb ..... Which is wrong ;)
25 However, I got around it by formatting it in another machine, the drive
26 works perfectly, (it seems, guess I'll know more later;) Though there
27 may be some obscure config option in the IDE/ATA part of the kernel
28 config to avoid this kind of situation.
29
30 //Spider
33 begin .signature
34 Tortured users / Laughing in pain