From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-197: activate new naming scheme
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:23:30
1 Am 31.01.2013 10:36, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I've booted into udev-197 but my network interfaces are named the same
4 >> as ever and I've read that the new naming scheme is deactivated by
5 >> default. Do you think the new naming scheme will stick?
6 >
7 > In the discussion in [1] the consensus seems to be that they actually
8 > solve a real problem, and that they are an improvement to the old
9 > scheme.
10 >
11 >> If so, how can I activate it?
12 >
13 > Follow the instructions at [2]. In short, eliminate
14 > /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules and
15 > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
16
17 While I am fiddling around with systemd that is the perfect time to also
18 try this one. Switched to the new scheme on two of my systems, no
19 problems so far.
20
21 What helped:
22
23 on the thinkpad I use networkmanager so I didn't have to do anything ...
24
25 I assume openrc-users would have to relink net.lo to the new names like
26 net.enp6s0 in my case (instead of the old net.eth0)?
27
28 -
29
30 On the other machine with systemd I only had to edit my funny
31 kvm-bridge.service to match the new NIC-device.
32
33 Runs fine.
34
35 In general I see the benefit in this new approach even when it means to
36 let old habits go somehow. Well, we have the option to keep the good old
37 naming by just setting/keeping the old udev-rules.
38
39 Stefan