From: Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@×××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 07:48:17
1 On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 05:51:06PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > I wrote:
5 >> If you want to back the system up while it is running (in particular /),
6 >> then you need to use a tool that understands how to create a backup image
7 >> that is valid (i.e will boot) - something like xfsdump, *dumpe2fs* etc or
8 >> smart tar/dump based tools like Amanda.
9 > Hmm - dunno what I was thinking there - 'dumpe2fs' is completely wrong,
10 > should have written 'dump', sorry!
11
12 If you do backup live filesystems/data then dump is on par with dd; both
13 read from the underlying device and might bypass the kernel's page cache.
14 Ie., there might be unwritten data cached thats not on disk yet.
15 Tar/rdiff-backup/etc reads through the pagecache and avoids this problem.
16
17 The dump people talk a bit about this themselves on
18
19 http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html
20
21 Note I dont want to dis dump, backing up live filesystems is just tricky
22 (depending on your consistency requirements :) and dump adds another
23 level to that.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Rasmus