From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fetch restriction bypass
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 00:01:19
1 On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:50:18 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > I'm not sure what the big deal is, so portasge skips emerging one
4 > > package because it can't download the distfile. So what? The previous
5 > > version worked OK the day before and won't suddenly break because an
6 > > update is available. Just download and upgrade when you have the
7 > > time, casting the appropriate curses for those that set the licence.
10 > I agree. To me it's not much of an issue. However sometime ago when
11 > there was a conversation about how people update their machines I
12 > mentioned that I always do an
13 >
14 > emerge -fDuN @world
15
16 I do something similar, from a cron script that runs emerge --sync and a
17 couple of other bits.
18
19 > prior to kicking off the real emerge just to ensure that when the
20 > build finally does start all the files are here and ready. This sort
21 > of issue is precisely why I do that.
22
23 This still isn't an issue, as long as you use --keep-going. The emerge
24 world will proceed to update everything but the one affected package.
25
26 > I know most people don't like calculating all the dependencies
27 > multiple times but I prefer to do so, get the files and then pretty
28 > much be guaranteed that the build proceeds without much attention from
29 > me.
30
31 It is a useful method of detecting potential problems, but this isn't
32 really a problem. However, as my script emails me the output of emerge -p
33 world (which means I actually calculate the dependencies three times, but
34 I don't care as I'm asleep for the first two) I know about the fetch
35 restriction as soon as I read my mail, and can decide whether to deal
36 with it immediately or ignore it.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 Don't be humble, you're not that great.