From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] non-root crontab failure (permissions issue?)
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:08:53
1 On Sunday 18 May 2008, King Spook wrote:
2 .
3 > So I checked mine using, and you were right in that the permissions
4 > were different. So then I tried to make them mirror yours using:
5 > sudo chmod u=rwx,g=rs,o=x /usr/bin/crontab
6 >
7 > But the permissions would up like so:
8 > -rwxr-S--x 1 root crontab 35120 Mar 6 17:16 crontab
9 >
10 > Now when trying "crontab -e", I get:
11 > -bash: /usr/bin/crontab: Permission denied
12 >
13 > I'm guessing I messed up in setting guid, since yours is lower-case
14 > 's', and mine's showing upper?
15
16 Ah, that's easy to fix :-) The uppercase "S" means that the "x"
17 permission underneath it is not set on, so you will also have to do
18 this (as root)
19
20 chmod g+x $(which crontab)
24 Alan McKinnon