From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] very strange nsswitch.ldap problem
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:43:56
1 I have been fighting with a system for a couple hours now to get it to
2 work again and I finally did it. But I don't know why what was wrong
3 keeps it from booting right.
4
5 Here's what I have:
6
7 I'm testing using Samba and LDAP as a PDC server. So I have a system
8 that I configured with Samba, LDAP, pam_ldap, and nsswitch_ldap. I had
9 it all configured and it was fine.
10
11 However, after an update of the system, including upgrading to gcc-3.4,
12 the system didn't boot right (if at all). It would sit forever,
13 apparently trying to build /dev with udev.
14
15 I found that eventually it would continue the boot sequence, but /dev
16 was broken. Immediately I could see that /boot was not able to be
17 mounted and the swap was not made active: the system couldn't access
18 /dev/sdaX, there was no valid device there.
19
20 Root was on sda3 and it was mounted, but I think grub set that up
21 directly w/o the use of /dev.
22
23 I traced the problem to the nsswitch.ldap that I put into place as
24 nsswitch.conf.
25
26 If I have:
27
28 hosts: files dns
29
30 the system boots just fine. If I have:
31
32 hosts: files dns ldap
33
34 the system cannot deal with the udev devices correctly. I have
35 confirmed this by repeatedly making this change and unmaking it and the
36 system was wonky when ldap was included and worked fine when ldap wasn't
37 included.
38
39 Is there a logical reason why this would be happening?
40
41 I'll be happy to post any relevant info to my system if that would help
42 in explaining the situation, but I'm not sure if any other settings come
43 into play...
46 -M
47
48 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
49 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list