From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you handle new Xorg + nvidia + ~x86?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:36:20
1 Hello Roy Wright,
2
3 > Until that time will probably just keep masking
4 > xorg-server and hope I remember to unmask
5 > xorg-x11 at that time.
6
7 That's probably the most sane approach, unless you want to remove the
8 blocker from the ebuild and try the new XOrg with Nvidia. Masking
9 ">=xorg-server-1.4" is not a good idea, because then you'll miss the
10 removal of the blocker, when Nvidia release new drivers.
11
12 > This seems inelegant. So I'm hoping someone
13 > has a better approach.
14
15 It is inelegant, but portage doesn't have an elegant way of handling this
16 situation. A blocker isn't really the right way to do this, that is meant
17 to be used when two packages install the same file(s). This is in
18 incompatibility between versions, but portage doesn't have a way of
19 saying "don't try to install foo-1.4 if bar-2.7 is installed".
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Windows will never cease.