From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing BTRFS on MBR with OpenRC
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 12:18:49
1 On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 7:39 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yes, I remember about your rescue ISO. I may do the same once I work out how
4 > to incorporate my own customisations into it. Maybe that should be the first
5 > thing to do. I have a USB stick like that, but it refuses to boot any more.
8 I've been running systemrescuecd on a USB stick, but for one of my
9 systems I had to format the device with Windows and then just copy the
10 files and run syslinux on it from a linux box. Running the full
11 systemrescuecd installer results in a USB stick that boots on some of
12 my systems, but not all of them. I'm sure that is a matter of a
13 brain-dead BIOS that isn't following the spec. (All a BIOS is
14 supposed to do is check for a magic number on the first block, and if
15 present load it into RAM and jump into it at a set offset. I suspect
16 this motherboard is trying to do more than that, perhaps as part of a
17 firmware loader function/etc which would require more knowledge of
18 FAT.)
19
20 So, if you have a USB stick that won't boot, consider that the problem
21 may actually lie in your BIOS...
24 Rich