From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Piping "emerge -a" to some other command
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 11:36:34
1 Arve,
2
3 On Friday, 2022-02-25 10:15:18 +0100, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > I'm guessing any proposed solution would fail when what you want to
7 > capture has an interactive component like this.
8
9 I think "fail" is the wrong word here. My own scripts send such quest-
10 ions to the same device they retrieve the answer from ("/dev/tty" in my
11 case). So both, question and answer would be missing from the log file
12 produced by "tee", but they would appear on the screen, which seems more
13 important to me.
14
15 But you are right in that it would at least be difficult to have them in
16 both places.
17
18 Sincerely,
19 Rainer