From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why is writing to an async-mounted USB disk so slow?
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 19:33:05
1 Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 >> Mick has a good point.  I have two or three of the cheaper USB external
3 >> enclosures and only one of them was somewhat fast, it is USB 2.0 after
4 >> all.  The other two logged a lot of errors in messages file about
5 >> resetting something.  It was resetting so often that moving data to or
6 >> from the drive was very slow.  I pitched the two bad ones, saved the one
7 >> that works but bought a known good one, it has a fan and a display with
8 >> the temps and fan RPMs etc on it.  It is a eSATA or USB enclosure.  I
9 >> use the eSATA port and it is as fast as my internal drives.  If
10 >> interested, I can find a link for one so you can see what it looks
11 >> like.  I can also find the one that doesn't work just in case you have
12 >> it.  The good one is black and the iffy ones are a silver color.  Point
13 >> is, not all external enclosures work well.  USB ports in my experience
14 >> really complicate matters.
15 >> I like USB for my camera and my little card reader, that I use to get
16 >> deer pics off my trail camera.  Other than that, I try to avoid USB.
17 >> Oh, printers tend to work too.
18 >> Dale
19 > I am curious about your USB and eSATA enclosure.
20 >
21 > I have two such Sabrent enclosures, USB 2.0 and eSATA.
22 >
23 > USB 2.0 works with IDE or SATA hard drive, while eSATA works only with SATA hard drive.
24 >
25 > I also have a Micronet Fantom G-Force hard drive with USB 3.0 and eSATA connections.
26 >
27 > Tom
33 This first one is like the one that doesn't work.  Of the three, two
34 didn't work correctly and the one that works without errors isn't that
35 fast either.  I wouldn't recommend this one unless something has changed
36 which makes it much faster in the case of the one that works and is
37 dependable in the case of the two who doesn't.
38
39 https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB3-0-HDD-Enclosure-3-5-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Case-cooling-fan/293073024042
40
41 This next one is the one that works great.  It's fast, every bit as fast
42 as my internal drives.  I have not tried the USB port so I'm referring
43 to the eSATA port only.  Let's hope they haven't changed this since it
44 works great.  The display is hard to see on the main image but another
45 image shows it well.  I might add, the price has went up quite a bit
46 too.  o_O
47
48 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-Armer-RX304-APU3-35B-External-3-5-SATA-III-6-Gb-s-Hard-Drive-Enclosu/383002494116
49
50 One other note, neither of those are the vendor I bought from.  The
51 original vendor had sold out and either unlisted the item or no longer
52 had all the info.
53
54 I'm sure there are others out there that work fine.  I'm just sharing
55 the ones I have that don't work right and one that does.  Just like hard
56 drives in general, I'm sure others will have different experiences.
57
58 Dale
59