From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sandbox vs userpriv
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:21:56
1 On Mon 13 Aug 2012 05:37:27 PM IST, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Nilesh Govindrajan
3 > <contact@××××××××.com <mailto:contact@××××××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Aug 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan"
6 > <contact@××××××××.com <mailto:contact@××××××××.com>> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > What's the disadvantage of compiling in sandbox instead of
9 > compiling directly with userpriv?
10 >
11 > *advantage
14 > If you do things like parallel builds (-j applied to emerge, not just
15 > make), a sandbox can help keep the build environment consistent
16 > throughout a build. (And if that's not a feature that's currently in
17 > sandbox, it's one where an extension of which is being discussed in
18 > -dev right now, and being worked on by a few people.)
19 >
20 > The other thing sandbox gives you is some protection from
21 > badly-written build systems, such as ones which go out and modify
22 > files outside of explicitly-allowed paths and the like, or try
23 > installing files before 'make install'...that kind of thing.
24 >
25 > --
26 > :wq
27
28 I see. Actually I came up with this question because dev-lang/php was
29 emitting some errors when I was building with sandbox enabled (I never
30 disabled it actually). I guess I'll enable it again and disable when
31 some ebuilds trouble.
34 Nilesh Govindrajan
35 http://nileshgr.com