From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:37:24
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> Right now, if Gentoo fails to boot because of the init thingy, I have no
6 >> idea how to fix it. None at all.
7 >
8 > I understand. My question is why are you even using the initrd?
9 > There's no requirement to use it today, at least on stable. There's
10 > not even a discussion I've seen that says we _ever_ have to use it if
11 > we don't use a separate /usr, so I'm not understanding where the
12 > problem is.
13 >
14 > This is just my 2 cents, but assuming you have a lot of disk space why
15 > not do a second Gentoo install, use initrd there to learn about it,
16 > and just STOP doing updates to your current environment. If you don't
17 > update it then it's not going to fail due to an update, right?
18 >
19 > I'm not picking on you or anything like that. It just seems to me that
20 > you're worrying about the worst instead of doing the easiest. Let's
21 > let the heavy lifters do some work, watch people get through it, and
22 > only then decide what to do. No reason to cause problems with our
23 > systems. I've masked a few packages and am being careful about
24 > updates.
25 >
26 > Good luck,
27 > Mark
32 Right now it won't be a problem but when I get my set up like I want it,
33 it will be. I'm trying to learn it on a system that doesn't care right
34 now. As posted elsewhere, if I boot with the init thingy then I can't
35 su to root. My solution right now was to boot without the init thingy.
36 However, if I get to where I can set up my system like I want, that
37 would be a problem for me. This is holding me back from doing several
38 things on my system and one of them is using LVM for everything but /
39 and /boot.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
47 how you interpreted my words!
48
49 Miss the compile output? Hint:
50 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"