From: Marcin Zwd <marcinzwd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to turn off the screen permanently
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:22:48
1 Well, I've just upgraded my laptop. The old one has ati
2 radeon r250 graphics card. On this card I can easily turn
3 off the screen using nice program "radeantool" of course
4 "xset dpms force off" worked as well. And "turn off" was
5 permanent. It is worth to mention that I was using
6 x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati opensource drivers... On the
7 other hand, the new laptop has nvidia (quadro 135) aboard
8 and now I'm using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82.
9 Everything works fine except one tiny problem now if I turn
10 off the screen and backlight after a few seconds the
11 backlight is back on!
12
13 For example:
14
15 $ xset dpms 0 0 5
16
17 The screen is nicely turning off after 5 seconds but after
18 3-8 seconds the backlight is back on! Then, I notice that
19 this is the screensaver. So I tried again
20
21 $ xset s off
22 $ xset dpms 0 0 5
23
24 And now after about 10 seconds I have whole screen back on!
25 I even tried vbetool dpms off. By the way it is not working
26 smoothly for me, so manage little ugly hack
27
28 --- screenoff --------------------
29 #!/bin/bash
30 for ((i=0;i<256;i++)); do
31 /usr/sbin/vbetool dpms off &
32 sleep 0.5
33 PID=`pidof vbetool`
34 if [ -n "$PID" ]; then
35 kill -9 $PID >/dev/null 2>&1
36 else
37 exit
38 fi
39 done >/dev/null 2>&1
40
41 But even now screen is back on again!!!
42
43 I'm using gentoo stable (gnome)
44 x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.0.0-r6
45 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82