From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE takes ages to show password screen after suspend
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:06:05
1 Am Freitag, 7. Mai 2010 schrieb András Csányi:
2 > On 7 May 2010 19:33, Roman Naumann <roman_naumann@××××××××.fm> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > when I suspend my computer, KDE locks the session. This usually happens,
6 > > when I close my laptop lid.
7 > >
8 > > When I open it again, it takes 1 to 20 seconds (seamingly random) untill
9 > > the login screen appears. During this time, I just see a black screen
10 > > and a mouse pointer (somewhere), but I cannot move it.
11 > >
12 > > If no X server is started, i.e. I'm on the shell, the computer always
13 > > responds after a second or so when the laptop lid is opened again.
14 > >
15 > > Any ideas what causes this or how to fix it?
16 >
17 > Suspend is that when the computer isn't off just the things stays in
18 > memory, isn't? When the contents of the memory is writed to the disk
19 > and the machine is get off that is the hibernate function, isn't?
20 >
21 > It is possible that when you close the lid the contents of memory
22 > writed to the disk and reading this few hundred Mbyte - on my laptop
23 > KDE is eating ~800 Mbyte memory, the hungry Beast! :)
24
25 1) It doesn't matter how much KDE takes - the RAM is always written and read
26 completely, not partly.
27 2) Those 800 MB definitely include a lot of apps running. What does top/free
28 say immediately after you booted the machine and logged in (bootet from the
29 state of being really switched off, that is)? Mine says about 240 MB (32 bit).
30
31 Compared to KDE3, KDE4 takes longer here, as well. But not that long. The
32 laptop's screen goes off and on once or twice, which may account for most of
33 the delay. And the mouse pointer doesn't follow the mouse for a second or two.
34 I have never measured it, but I guess it takes around about 6±2 seconds from
35 switching on to seeing the password screen. (Provided that I move the mouse
36 right away to make KDE show the screen).
37 --
38 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
39 I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.