From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ZFS
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 07:47:58
1 On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
2 <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:49:40PM -0700, Grant wrote:
4 >> > I think many folks are interested in upgrading to EXT4 with RAID from
5 >> > an ordinary JBOD workstation(server); or better yet to ZFS on RAID. I wish
6 >> > one of the brighter minds amongst us would put out a skeleton
7 >> > (wiki) information page as such:
8 >> >
9 >> > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS+RAID
10 >> >
11 >> > I know I have struggled with completing this sort of installation
12 >> > several time in the last 6 months. I'm sure this (proposed) wiki page
13 >> > would get lots of updates from the Gentoo user community. Surely,
14 >> > I'm not qualified to do this, or it would have already been on the
15 >> > gentoo wiki....
16 >> >
17 >> > Much of the older X + RAID pages are deprecated, when one considers
18 >> > the changes that accompany such an installation ( Grub2, UUID, fstab,
19 >> > partitioning of drives, Kernel options, just to name a few). We're
20 >> > talking about quite a bit of deviation from the standard handbook
21 >> > installation, fraught with hidden, fatal mis-steps.
22 >>
23 >> Any important points or key concepts a ZFS newbie should remember when
24 >> installing with it for the first time?
25 >>
26 >> - Grant
29 > You should definitely determine the right value for ashift on pool creation
30 > (it controls the alignment on the medium). It's an option that you afaik can only set
31 > on filesystem creation and therefore needs a restart from scratch if you get it
32 > wrong.
33 > According to the illumos wiki it's possible to run a mixed pool (if you have
34 > drives requiring different alignments[1])
35 > If in doubt: ask ryao (iirc given the right information he can tell you which
36 > are the right options for you if you can't deduce it yourself).
37 > Choosing the wrong alignment can cause severe performance loss (that's not
38 > a ZFS issue but happened when 4k sector drives appeared and tools like fdisk
39 > weren't aware of this).
40 >
41 > WKR
42 > Hinnerk
45 Especially with SSDs. One must find out the blocksize used by his/her SSDs.
46
47 With spinning disks, setting ashift=12 is enough since no spinning
48 disks have sectors larger than 2^12 bytes.
49
50 With SSDs, one might have to set ashift=13 or even ashift=14.
51
52 Rgds,
53 --
54 FdS Pandu E Poluan