From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 03:19:22
1 On Mar 30, 2012 9:14 AM, "Mike Edenfield" <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
4 ---- >8 snip
7 > splashutils, which is the package dracut uses to generate a boot splash
8 > image, has a lot of dependencies but requires they all be built
9 > USE=static-libs. Plymouth, which does animated boot splash, is a bit
10 worse;
11 > it installs a few dozen files, about half of that data. Then again, if
12 > you're putting an animated boot splash image on your initramfs, I don't
13 > think you're all that worried about space :)
16 Sometimes I wonder why people want eye candy during boot...
17
18 Linux startup -- sans splash screen -- brings back nostalgic memories of my
19 early computing days using DOS...
20
21 Plus, sharp-eyed users can catch a glimpse of something wrong ;-)
22
23 Rgds,