From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Inconsistent mountpoint for /
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:59:15
1 On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:33:36 -0700, walt wrote:
2
3 > My USB stick, e.g. shows up in grub as (hd2). Now, I can't possibly
4 > think straight enough to know in advance that the USB stick is (hd2),
5 > so what I do every time is to use this trick from the grub prompt:
6 >
7 > grub> root (hd<now I hit TAB for a list of all drives that grub finds>
8 > grub> root (hd<TAB>
9 > Possible disks are: hd0 hd1 hd2 <that narrows it down to three>
10 >
11 > Now for each of the three disks I continue this way:
12 > grub> root (hd0,<TAB to get a list of all partitions on (hd0)>
13 >
14 > On the third disk I finally recognize my USB stick because it has only
15 > one partition, but just to be sure:
16 >
17 > grub> root (hd2,0)/<TAB to get a list of all directories on the
18 > grub> partition>
19 >
20 > If by that time I'm still not sure which is the right disk then I'd
21 > better go take a nap before proceeding ;o)
22
23 Or you could use find from the grub prompt. Just put a file identifying
24 the USB stick in its root directory and find that.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Computer (n): A device designed to speed and automate errors.